Saturday, April 2, 2011

A book a week - revisited

Back in January I wrote a post on CBC affiliate David Lamb's quest to read a book a week for a year. It so inspired me, I pledged to read a book a month and each month choose an author of a different nationality. I'm on track so far, having read (US) Franzen's Freedom in January, the old-school racy (UK) Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover in February and (India/Africa/Canada - not sure how to classify yet)Vassanji's The In-Between World of Vikram Lall in March. I bought Freedom for myself as a Christmas present, in hardcover no less. But the other two books were borrowed. I was deliberating this afternoon on what I should read for April.

My boyfriend suggested Don Quixote, but it's crazy long, or Kafka, but I haven't decided yet whether short stories are allowed. Instead, I've settled on The Solitaire Mystery by Norwegian author Jostein Gaarder, who wrote Sophie's World. So far so good. It's about a boy on a road trip through Europe with his semi-alcoholic Dad to find his mother who abandoned them years ago. From a midget at the side of a road somewhere in Germany, he's given a homemade magnifying glass which seems to have magical powers, which he tests as his Dad sips alpine brandy....

David Lamb's doing well, having read 10 books so far. But he hasn't posted for nearly a month. Keep it up David!

1 comment:

  1. Your reading list inspires me, Carter. I'm like the worst reader EVER! Still trying to get through Freedom and had planned to read the whole Twilight saga...never happened...

    ReplyDelete