Sunday, January 30, 2011

A book a week

I was listening to Fresh Air on CBC radio this morning and they had one of their news journalists talk about a challenge he'd set himself - to read a book a week for a year.

I don't know how he's going to do it. I'm an avid reader but I go through dry spells when life gets busy. I probably average a book every month or two. I just finished Freedom - a hefty 500+ pages- that I read every chance I got, on the streetcar, on my lunch hour, curled up in bed. It still took me weeks. He read it in 5 days - and has already read 6 books this year.

While I don't think I could realistically get through a book a week, I'm going to aim to read one a month. I've said it here. I'm committed. And just to make it more interesting, each author for each month will be a different nationality. Some will have to be in translation, I certainly don't have time to learn any languages. Russian novels scare me too.

U.S. is covered. Next country, next book - any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment