Sunday, December 12, 2010

sweet Sunday afternoon

Sometimes you have to revel in chaos and who better to teach you than a child?

My boy and I made cookies today and I knew it was going to be messy. But I clad the dining table in vinyl thrift-store tablecloth and threw caution to the wind.

After rolling out the sugar cookie dough, we grabbed our cookie cutters and got to work. We managed to get about 11 cookies instead of the promised 4 dozen. Some of the blobs had to be creatively named.

There was much wailing while we were waiting for the cookies to bake until I produced the coloured sugar and silver dragees. Xavier tasted a pinch of this and a pinch of that and was soon reduced to a multi-coloured smile.

We decorated the cookies with the remaining sugar and dragees and iced them with Scribblers. What a great invention! I would have had a royal meltdown if I'd had to make royal icing.

We iced and ate, ate and sprinkled, sprinkled and drageed.

We did it. We made homemade Christmas cookies. The house is a mess and there are none left for the Christmas tree or the neighbours but the sheen of the red and green sugar between the floorboards will act as testament to our magical afternoon for a long time to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment