Monday, October 11, 2010

Chatting on the couch...

Two of my oldest friends came over a while back for a chat. We've been friends for decades so we're as comfortable as a tea cosy and a pair of socks. We just slumped on the couch, shoulders curled, slowly chatting away. I probably put out snacks, but I'm pretty sure I didn't make them dinner.

Whatever the topic turned to, it usually ended with "I don't know how people do it." We were marvelling at the lives of others - not those who became political leaders or heart surgeons or lugers, they were too far out of scope to dwell on, but those insouciant folks who worked a day job, cooked a meal and kept their houses clean. We didn't know how they did it.

I can't seem to do all those three things in any given day with any sort of success. How is it possible? But every day I hear of people doing it. In fact, everyone's claiming they do. Commuting, computing, dinner and dusting. Really?

If you're doing it, I'd love to hear how. Please be as detailed as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Love all of your posts, Al. This first one is dear as I totally remember this night like it was yesterday. I too don't understand how peeps do it. I look forward to figuring it out with you....;)

    ReplyDelete